Monday, September 14, 2009

Elbow/Bartholomae writing

The writing process is the combination of steps a writer takes in order to create their piece of writing. The writing process is like reading a book; you have to do things in order. You can't read the end of the book before you read the beginning. It's also like shooting a free throw in basketball. Everyone has their own rhythm or ritual they perform before they shoot a free throw. Each writer also has their own process they perform to focus on their writing and do their best work. The consistency of repeating the same steps everytime is a comfort to the writer which helps them execute their tasks. The repitition of the steps is what causes a persons writing process to exist. If the steps a writer takes to begin writing is unhealthy or harmful this may have a negative effect in the future. A writer's process is helpful to the writer however if he/she were ever to be in a situation where they can't perform their process before writing, they may be thrown off and not be able to write the best they could write. Bartholomae touches on this aspect when he mentions the effects of the environment on the writer.

My writing process is very distracting and time consuming. It sounds like the music on my ipod and the voices of my friends. It doesn't look like a person writing at all. My writing process is similar to that of Elbow. I don't like planning or outlining before I write. Both him and I sort of spit out everything in our heads and then make sense out of it. My writing process is like a person with A.D.D., I get distracted very easily and waste a lot of time before I finish my assignment. The parts of my writing process include listening to music and talking to my friends online. While I do this I reread the prompt many times until I get an idea in my head of what to write about. Once I have an idea, I must turn off my music and stop all conversations and write everything that comes to my mind. If I come to a writer's block, I turn the music back on and repeat the process until I finish my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment